gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas): NANFA-- Re: Good news on Tulloch!

From: gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: Good news on Tulloch!
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 17:21:15 EDT

On Mon, 07 Jul 1997 15:37:25 EDT "Larry Zuckerman" <uskanc2n at ibmmail_com>
writes:
>Hi river lovers:
>fyi
>Larry Z.
>

>*** Forwarding note from I5346375--IBMMAIL  07/03/97 09:52 ***
>Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 09:11:59 -0400
>From: Merritt Frey <cleanwaternt at igc_org>
>Subject: Good news on Tulloch!
>To: cleanwater-info at igc_org
>
>The D.C. Circuit last week stayed the district court's invalidation of
>the Tulloch rule, the 1993 regulation that prohibits unpermitted
>draining of wetlands.  As a result of this order, the Tulloch Rule is
>back in place as the D.C. Circuit considers on the merits the
>government's appeal of the district court's ruling against the rule.
>Briefing of the case on appeal will be completed in the fall, with
>oral
>argument to follow sometime thereafter.
>
>Issuance of this stay is super news and represents a significant
>setback
>for the developers, since stays are hard to get.  While victory at the
>stay stage does not ensure victory on the merits (particularly since
>the
>panel of judges that issued the stay was an especially progressive
>one,
>and a different panel will likely decide the case on the merits), it
>sure isn't a bad sign.  The stay should also take considerable steam
>out
>of the developers' efforts to use the invalidation of the Tulloch Rule
>as an excuse for Congress to legislate on wetlands.
>
>Immediately following the announcement of the stay, the Corps sent out
>notice to its districts that the Tulloch Rule was back in effect.
>This
>is great -- the Corps is once again regulating excavation activites.
>
>For more information, contact Grady McCallie, NWF and Network Wetlands
>Work Group Co-chair, at mccallie at nwf_org or 202-797-6832.
>This message was sent by the Clean Water Network.  If you would
>like to reply to this particular message, please make sure you
>send it to the appropriate contact. To send a message to the
>Clean Water Network listserve, please send an email message to
>cleanwaternt at igc_apc.org and indicate that you would like it posted
>to the Network listserver. We will try to respond or forward your
>message to an appropriate expert in a timely manner, but please be
>aware that we receive over 40 messages a day and so may take some
>time to get back with you.  If you need to contact us immediately,
>please feel free to phone:
>Kathy Nemsick           I       Merritt Frey
>National Coordinator    I       Outreach Coordinator
>202-289-2395            I       202-289-2421

>---- End of mail text
>
>Additional SMTP headers from original mail item follow:
>Sender: owner-cleanwater-info at igc_apc.org

Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org