NFC: Fw: RE: [Nativefishponds] i need some pond plants

an interesting thread from the ponds list

Robert Rice - NFC president   www.nativefish.org

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Brad Kerr" <Brad at aquahabitat_com>
To: <Nativefishponds at yahoogroups_com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:53:36 -0700
Subject: RE: [Nativefishponds] i need  some pond plants

Robert,

Your point is well taken.  My interpretation of the basic problem is many
of
the purveyors aren't interested enough to educate themselves about native
species or anything else.  From what I have seen, the average retailer of
aquatic plants is simply a hobbyist with a profit motive.  They didn't
bother to put in the time to either gain an education or to simply learn
on
their own (or preferably both!).  If they were interested in doing the
right
thing, they would NEVER sell parrots feather!  The trouble for the
recreational pond owner goes much deeper than even the invasive plants
since
the pond industry is geared more towards selling products than providing
any
knowledgeable solutions.  Again, this phenomenon is spawned from a lack
of
knowledge coupled with the profit motive.

Of course I do enjoy the profits of my business, but even more rewarding
is
the ability to create these habitats.  I am much happier discussing
habitat
issues rather than putting together a bill.

As for the troubles with collecting wild plants, that is an interesting
issue when you consider the amount of time the government invests in
monitoring and control of invasive species.  I hope it is legal in most
places to collect a few plants here and there.  For sure, it must be
legal
to collect them from a private pond or stream.  In fact Elodea is
probably
thick in a pond within a short distance of everyone on this email list!
Go
find it and the landowner will probably gladly give it to you.

I have never done a general comparison of the cost of native vs. domestic
plants, but I do know that a couple of the sources I use actually sell
the
native plants I mentioned cheaper than any of the so called pond industry
"professional" suppliers.  I encourage folks to look under the heading of
native wetland nurseries instead of pond plants the next time they want
vegetate a pond.  These wetland nurseries seem to be much more
technically
knowledgeable and deserve your business much more than the self
proclaimed
pond professionals.

The two sources I can think of off the top of my head are
www.nwplants.com
and www.freshwaterfarms.com. I like them because they care about doing
the
right thing, their prices are reasonable, and they enjoy learning. Their
brooklime prices are also half of what the pond plant suppliers charge.
The
last price I saw for brooklime was  $1 per plant compared to the typical
$3
charged by the pond industry.

There are other good resources to find new and better pond plants.  Start
with your local native plant society.  I did a search on www.Google.com
and
found native plant societies for at least 25 states.  Click here =>
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=native+plant+society
If you can't find one for your state, the neighboring state group can
probably help.

They have helped me find local plant sources for my clients, as well as
suggesting local native species that I wasn't aware of.  Your local
University department of botany is also another helpful source.  All of
these people are interested in helping people use the best native
vegetation
instead of invasives.  They are happy to help.

My general feeling is if a hobbyist is interested enough to advance to
raising native fish instead of domestic overpriced CARP, they may also be
interested to populate their ponds with very attractive native plants.

Brad Kerr
Senior Fishery Biologist
Spring Creek Aquatic Concepts
www.AquaHabitat.com
(541) 382 6320
'Planning, design and management of lakes, ponds and streams'