NFC: Fw: Re: Duckweed Away

Duckwed Update FYI

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Dave & Lisa Baggaley" <baggers at gateway_net>
To: "Paul Prno" <pprno at home_com>
Cc: "Bob Rice" <robertrice at juno_com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:48:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Duckweed Away

Hi Paul,
I'd watch out with putting in duckweed eating fish - I also thought about that & asked Bob Rice of the Native Fish Conservancy council ( www.nativefish.org ) & although there are some pretty good duckweed eating fish, some of them will also eat everything else - including your gazillions of tiny fish. - I'd check at the native fish website before dropping in any weed eaters.
The ducks should eat the weed if they are wild ducks (As long as you don't feed them bread etc! ) if they're domesticated ducks they'll look nice, but not help with your work.
Bob & I have stocked my pond with a few native Floridian fish fry that will eat some weed & we've also planted some grasses that will grow in preference to the algae & weed when the fertilizer off everyone's lawns runs off into the pond again this year.
So far I've not had to work on the pond since Christmas & I've had my 1st crop of apples & blueberries fertilized by the 50 wheelbarrowloads of weed & algae that I removed last year !!
Good Luck with your skimming.
Cheers,
Dave Bag