NFC: Fw: Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Alert

Title: __________________________________________________________________

IN JUST 10 SECONDS, YOU CAN HELP

PROTECT THE ARCTIC!

THANK YOU for your past participation in Audubon-supported conservation efforts.

Audubon is writing to you now because an important conservation measure is scheduled to come up in the U.S. House of Representatives BEFORE AUGUST 3rd! At issue is whether the U.S. House of Representatives will vote to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling.

Drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge will destroy America’s truly pristine wilderness. Millions of migratory birds that visit our backyards, our seashores, and our local lakes and ponds breed on the coastal plains of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This area has been called "America's Serengeti" -- home to vast herds of migrating caribou as well as musk oxen, polar bears, grizzlies and other rare and endangered wildlife.

Drilling in the Arctic Refuge will not lower gas prices or respond to the electricity problems in California. Drilling in the Arctic Refuge will not bring us closer to energy independence. Drilling will not serve as a long-term solution for our supposed energy crisis. Ruining the wilderness character of the Arctic Refuge forever would equate to less than a 180-day supply of oil, and it would take a full 10 years before any oil began to flow. If drilling is allowed, the wilderness character of the Arctic Refuge will disappear. You can help prevent this from happening!

Please Call Your U.S. Representative Today and Urge Your Lawmaker to PROTECT THE ARCTIC REFUGE FROM OIL AND GAS DRILLING!
Nothing is as powerful on Capitol Hill as your 10-second phone call. To immediately identify the name and direct dial phone number of your lawmaker, please click this link: h
ttp://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/addressform.asp

Please Fax Your U.S. Representative for FREE, by clicking on this link: http://www.protectthearctic.com/take_action.asp

To check where your lawmaker stands on this issue, click on this link: http://www.protectthearctic.com/news.asp

For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us audubonaction at audubon_org