NFC: Fw: a message from Robert Redford

fwiw
--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Redford <earthaction at nrdcaction_org>
To: robertrice at juno_com
Date: Fri,  4 May 2001 15:58:38 -0400 (EST)
Subject: a message from Robert Redford

Dear NRDC Earth Activist,

I wanted to pass along to you the following message
describing my feelings about President Bush's plan to drill
the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and the urgent need for
us to fight back. As an NRDC Earth Action subscriber you've
most likely already taken action on behalf of our Arctic
wilderness -- and I thank you. Now, please do me the great
favor of forwarding my message to everyone you know -- your
friends, family, co-workers, discussion groups --
encouraging them to join us in this critical battle.

Sincerely yours,
Robert Redford

=====

Dear Friend,

I've never circulated this kind of email before. But I am so
appalled by President Bush's plan to open up the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge to massive oil development that I
feel I must do whatever I can to help stop it.

To me, the Arctic Refuge represents everything spectacular
and everything endangered about America's natural heritage:
a million years of ecological serenity . . . vast expanses
of untouched wilderness . . . an irreplaceable sanctuary for
polar bears, white wolves and 130,000 caribou that return
here each year to give birth and rear their young. For
20,000 years -- literally hundreds of generations -- the
native Gwich'in people have inhabited this sacred place,
following the caribou herd and leaving the awe-inspiring
landscape just as they found it. Our own presidents going
back to Eisenhower have kept a bipartisan promise to
safeguard this world-class natural treasure. But not THIS
president. It is a sad day indeed when our president and
congressional leaders would sacrifice America's largest
wildlife refuge for the sake of a possible six-month supply
of national energy. A six-month supply! We could save that
little oil by improving the fuel efficiency of cars and
light trucks by a mere one mile per gallon.

Only one group of Americans will benefit from the
destruction of the Arctic Wildlife Refuge: the oil giants.
Everyone else loses. Arctic wildlife populations will
decline, the Gwich'in people will see their land marred by
pipelines and poisoned by oil spills, you and I will become
even more dependent on oil, and the planet will suffer
catastrophic global warming from the burning of even more
fossil fuel.

Unless we get millions of Americans to lodge a protest right
now, this nightmarish scenario may well come to pass in the
next two months. The Republican energy bill, which would
fulfill the president's promise to drill the Arctic Refuge,
is moving through Congress today. House and Senate leaders
may also try to sneak through the Arctic drilling provision
by attaching it to a "must-pass" appropriations bill. These
votes will be decided by the moderates in both parties. We
must reach those moderates and hold them accountable.

Here's what you can do: go to
http://www.savebiogems.org/arctic

The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has set up this
new website to make it extremely easy for you to send
messages of protest to your senators and represenative. It
will take you only a minute.

I've been on NRDC's board for 25 years, so I know how
effective they are at waging and winning environmental
campaigns. Last year, NRDC used web activism to help
generate a million messages of protest to Mitsubishi and
stopped the company from destroying the last unspoiled
birthing ground of the Pacific gray whale.

We'll win this time too if each of us does our part for the
Arctic Refuge. Please visit
http://www.savebiogems.org/arctic right now. And forward my
message to your family, friends and colleagues. Congress
cannot ignore millions of us.

If we let them plunder our greatest wildlife refuge for the
sake of oil company profits, then no piece of our natural
heritage is safe from destruction. Please go to
http://www.savebiogems.org/arctic and help keep the Arctic
wild and free.

Sincerely yours,
Robert Redford

=====

To unsubscribe from Earth Action, send an email message to
earthaction at nrdcaction_org with REMOVE in the subject line.
To update your email address or other information, go to:
http://www.join.nrdcaction.org/profileeditor

For more information about NRDC or how to become a member of
NRDC, please contact us at:

Natural Resources Defense Council
40 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
212-727-4511 (voice) / 212-727-1773 (fax)
General email: nrdcinfo at nrdc_org
Earth Action email: nrdcaction at nrdc_org
http://www.nrdc.org

Also visit:
BioGems -- Saving Endangered Wild Places
A project of the Natural Resources Defense Council
http://www.savebiogems.org