NFC: Ray Wolff report....

Hey Robert,

  Here is what I am working on locally that may ( or may not) be of
interest.  The northern longear- Lepomis peltastes ( megalotis peltastes)
is
still listed threatened, since 1978.  I was thinking no one can be
surveying
the populations of this fish. I have been steadily checking all dots, and
similar areas on maps I dig up. Each dot except one unverified one.
whether
an old pre 80's or new location, has this fish in abundance. In fact, it
is
often the most common Lepomis.  I am sure no one will listen to my silly
non
scientific research, but if I know one fish, its the group that is called
sunfish.  I would rate the peltastes second to only green sunfish in its
ability to adapt to new habitats, and colonize suitable areas, which
range
from clear streams to muddy backwaters.  of course my research on this
fish
is mostly for selfish reasons, if it were not listed, I could legally
keep
it.  But hey, I am not getting any other reasons to do this, so why not?
No
matter the means, I am getting some useful information on this beautiful
fish.

Secondly I am still keeping with my ponds and fishroom and trying to (
most
this stuff is stored in the inadequate hard drive called my brain) the
interactions, breeding, and growth of various sunfish, killifish, and
some
others. This information is probably some what useful to help others
working
with similar fish, or similar set ups that are directed at fish that are
in
some kind of peril.

  Time is at a premium though, with two daughters, and everything else,
but
maybe some of my wild Ideas could bolster and benefit others?

Ray