Re: NFC: Luxilus cardinalis

                    mcclurg luke
                    e                    To:     nfc at actwin_com
                    <mcclurgl@was        cc:
                    hburn.edu>           Subject:     Re: NFC: Luxilus cardinalis
                    Sent by:
                    owner-nfc@act
                    win.com

                    10/30/00
                    01:15 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    nfc

Luke:

Both Kansas populations are L. cardinalis.  They are morphologically
distinguished from Notropis pilsbryi (now Luxilis pilsbryi) by scale counts
and number of gill rakers on the 1st arch.

Steve Haslouer
Kansas Dept. Health & Environment

Steve,

  Was that for the disjunct population located in the Flint Hills
only?  Or is the Cardinal Shiner simply a recently new classification
anyway.  I ask this since to distinct populations (as I know you are
already aware) exist here.  One, in the Spring River and Shoal Creek of
extreme SW Kansas, and the disjunct population in the Flint Hills region.

Luke

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 SHasloue at kdhe_state.ks.us wrote:

> The Kansas population has only recently been reclassified as L.
cardinalis.

> Older collections (older than the last 10 years or so) were ID'd,
> catalogued, and written up as Duskystripe Shiners (Notropis pilsbryi).
I'm