Non-member submission from [Stuart R Scott<scottyflag at mail_enter.net>]

From: Stuart R Scott <scottyflag at mail_enter.net>
Subject: Raising Microworms

Jeremy wrote:
>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:26:26 -0700
>From: Jeremy <adamsjer at ucs_orst.edu>
>Subject: ~~~Microworms ~~~
>
>I am curious what peoples favorite mediums are for microworms? My book
>tells me to use porage. Now is that oat porage such as oatmeal or wheat
>porage such as farina (cream of wheat) or corn porage such as corn meal
>mush or pablum (baby cereal). The last is what I used to use when I last
>raised them about 8 years ago but I was wondering if things have
>changed? I just recieved my starter in the mail yesterday, Thanks Joel.

FYI, Here is how I used to keep Microworms.

I used square plastic food storage containers ( 1 to 1.5 cups +/- ) with
lids. Lids are important to keep the medium moist. The growing medium was
pablum mixed with warm water to form a thickish paste with a "little" dry
yeast stirred in. Amount not critical but if you get too much yeast the
odor gets high. This should be added to the container to a level of about
1/2 inch. I then cut 5 pieces of wood about 3/4" X 3/4" square by 3" long.
Soak them in water for a while to get them moist. Place two sticks into the
medium and then lay the other three on top. This way you don't get any of
the medium on the top 3 sticks. Place the starter culture in the medium and
in a few days the worms will crawl up on the 3 sticks and you can dip them
directly into the aquariums. The mixture will last about 2 weeks so it's
best to stagger the cultures. You will always get a "Yeasty" odor but if
you don't add too much and change them fairly often it's not bad. Your nose
will tell you when. To start a new culture simply take a stick from a
current culture and add to a new one. to clean an old one,  just throw
everything in a sink and rinse with warm water. I found them to be simple
to raise and the fish love them. If you have any questions please ask.

Scotty

scottyflag at enter_net

Scotty

"I will never live my life for another human being,
nor allow another human being live their life for me."
- John Galt