Lime in Jiffy peat (was Re: grindal worms)

> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:20:48 -0600
> From: "Tomoko Schum" <tomokoschum at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Grindal worms
>
> Thank you Wright and Jim,
>
> The Jiffy Mix that I have is their seed starting
> formula type.  It is treated with lime to be
> neutral.  No fertilizer added.  The only thing is
> that it contains a bunch of very fine vermiculite
> which I must remove with a sieve, since they sink
> to the bottom along with the worms.

The comment about lime added to Jiffy peat caused me to do a wee experiment.

To water from my RO-storage tank, I added one Jiffy pellet. The water Ph was
about 6.6 in the beginning -- about right for RO exposed to air long enough
to get some CO2 dissolved. After soaking the pellet an hour or two, the pH
had dropped steadily to about 5.5. After boiling and cooling, it was still
around 5.5.

It convinced me no lime was added, but now I realize you were talking about
Jiffy Mix and not the pellets. :-) Oh well. It was something I should have
checked a long time ago.

Thanks,

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  wright at killi dot net

       http://www.atchison.com/Killifish/BAKA-WCW-10.html

     For all you ever wanted to know about West Coast Weekend X
The great killifish show and convention, combined with West Coast Live