Nitrate test kits

I fully blame Steve Dixon for getting me interested in adding KNO3 to my
tank as part of my water changing and dosing routine.  His gorgeous
aquaria, on display at last week's SFBAAPS meeting, were just cooking away
on the stuff.

The difficulty is measuring total N ppm.  I've perused the archives and
read all that is available on nitrate test kits, and it looks like the
weapon of choice is the fairly expensive model from Lamotte.  My LFS,
expert with saltwater reef aquaria, recommends the Salvert Nitrate test kit
as an alternative (about 1/3 the price of the Lamotte), but they've
obviously got a vested interest in selling me that item.

Has anyone used the Salvert?  Got a recommendation for any less-expensive
kit?

michael rubin
michael at rubinworld_com
http://www.rubinworld.com