Re: looking for help

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Peggy wrote:

> I have a 29 gallon tank that has been setup for over a year. I only have
> gravel for substrate.  I have 2 different Crypts, 1 Banana Plant, 1 Anubias,
> Cabomba, 2 Amazon Swords, (a Sandi?, not able to identify, not true aquatic).
> I have a double strip light 1 bulb (20 watt 10,000K) & 1 bulb (20 watt
> 6,000K)

In the long run you might find your lighting a little on the low side.
Your choice of bulbs seems a little unusual.  10,000K bulbs are more
common in minireefs than in planted tanks.  More balanced light gives
better color rendition and a brighter-appearing tank, but if that's your
taste in colors, than go with it.  For now it is probably not a problem.

> I am noting remarkable growth, but a few problems.  I use liquid fertilizers,
> as directed.  I had some Hornwort, but it had brown spots and I got rid of
> it, but now the brown stops growing on my Anubias and Swords.  What is it?
> What should I do?

I can't tell from your description whether the spots are something growing
attached to the plants, or whether the spots are dead areas on the plants.
Your action would be different in each case.  Which are they?  If you
chose to repost the question, then you might include a description of the
number and kind of fish you're keeping in the tank.

> Last immediate problem, is my Swords.  The leaves are thin, weak, elongated,
> and curling in all directions.  Anyone know what the problem is? Oops, one
> more thing, my Anubias has a new leaf, it is lighter in color.  Will it
> darken or is there something wrong here?

First, you should be aware that there are a lot of different plants sold
as "swords" of one variety or another.  Most swords are grown emersed
commercially and when we put them in our tanks many of the common types
revert to a submersed growth habit with different leaf forms.  In
particular, the leaves tend to be more elongated and pointed at the end,
they have a longer leaf blade compared to the petiole (leaf stem), the
pattern of veins on the leaves changes and there are color changes.  The
curving of the leaves is probably also the normal submersed grown form and
not a special problem.

Anubias leaves (all the species I've kept) are light green when new and
usually darken with age.

Roger Miller