Re:5 lbs CO2 gone in 2 months

Mike in Minneapolis asked why his 5 pounds of CO2 were depleted after two
months. I have a 55g tank and a 110g tank and both have 10 pound tanks that
have lasted over a year (May 1998). My bubble rate is 1 bubble per 2 seconds
on the 110g and 1 bubble per 4 seconds on the 55g. My pH varies from 6.8 to
7.0, depending upon the amount of surface agitation I allow. So Mike, you
are right to be concerned about how much CO2 your are using.

I would suggest that the first thing you should do is get rid of the
bio-wheels. They waste a lot of CO2 and you don't need them if you bio-load
in normal and you have healthy plants.  I would also suggest that you go to
a canister filter and use a gravel tube as a reactor (there are plenty of
illustrations for this on the Net). This type of set-up works well for me
and it is almost maintenance free.

Ken Guin
Kenguin at homemail_com