frozen food

>> I'd say optimal feeding (that is, not to much, not too little)
>> is more important than water changes; that is I can chanage water
>> religiously, but if I use frozen food, I still have a problem.
>
>What is it about frozen foods you think causes the problem, and what do you
suggest as
>an alternative?  I ask because I use strictly frozen foods and, while I
have had some
>algae problems recently, I have seen nothing leading me to believe there is
a link
>between the two.

Freezing works very well for peas and broccoli, but whenyou
freeze thing slike brine shrimp and bloodworms whihc are
essentially little fleshy sace filled with water, the ice
crystalizes and ruptires cell membranes, not to mention
the obvious mechanical damage involve din making and thawing
this stuff. The end result is... juice!

Put 10 live bloodworms into a tank and they will all
be eaten. Put 10 frozen bloodworms in a tank and
maybe 8 are good and nice and fa and red and perhaps
2 will be brownish, cut in half and may not ge
eaten, plus you have some residual blodworm jiuce
that nothing is going to eat, cannot be filtered
out and immediatley enteres the ecosystem. Do this
every day and, well, that juice adds up.

I only feed live food any more. I no longer have
any algae problems.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719