Re: black brush algae

>> >If you have been unfortunate enough to get "black brush" algae,
(furry
>> >short tufts) you can discourage the growth by keeping pH below 7.
Its a
>> >marine algae and flourishes at high pH.
>>
>> Black brush is a marine algae?  Then what is it doing in freshwater
>> tanks?  Vacationing? ;-)
>
>Are you saying that some marine algaes are not able to survive and grow
>in freshwater Mark? It sticks in my mind that an experienced APD poster
>had said that black brush was a marine algae. I checked Baench and
could
>not find a corroboration. Neil has also corrected this point.

Yes, absolutely.  Salinity is a very important factor in determining the
components of a plant community, both algal and vascular, and is best
demonstrated in estuarine habitats.  Here, there is a distinct salinity
gradient, ranging from freshwater at the "top" of the estuary, followed
by  freshwater/intermediate, brackish, and finally salt water.  Each
"zone" of the estuary is dominated by certain plants that are best
adapted to survive in that particular salinity.  A good field biologist
can estimate the salinity of a particular area, just by noting the
dominant plant species.

Some marine algae are able to withstand brief exposure to freshwater,
due to tidal action, rainfall, or periods of high river discharge, but
are unable to survive for an extended period.  Similarly, freshwater
plants and algae that get washed downstream into an estuary end up as
detritus.

Regards,

Mark