Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #481

In a message dated 8/29/98 4:13:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<< I have a problem in my planted tank.  50 gallon tall, heavily planted, 7 3"
 SAEs.  Until a few days ago they cavorted freely around the tank.

 About 36 hours ago my partner asked where are the fish?  I looked around
 and could not find them.  Since it was late at night, I decided to wait for
 the AM.  When I looked then, I found them huddled on the bottom in a corner
 in the back.  I checked the pH and it had dropped from its normal 6.1-6.3
 to 5.4 or so.  I started adding NaHCO3 slowly, and brought the pH back up
 to its usual range over the course of six hours.  >>

Dave,

I'm not what is happening, but it happened to mine sae's also.  They were fine
for about one month and growing fast.  They were swimming in a group and quite
interesting to watch.  Almost over nite they stopped.  They wouldn't eat
either.  Three saes from the same purchased group were fine in another tank
and still doing all the swimming and cavorting around.
I decided to supplement their diet; i noticed that the algae was almost non-
existant in the tank.  So i put in raw zucchini on a clip.  They slowly went
to it almost reluctantly.  Soon there were four and five eating it.  They seem
to be getting fatter again and much more active.  Don't know if it was an
illness or diet problem.  Right now they seem to be getting better.

Rich