A.Lights and B. Plants for Discus / Community Tank

I am in the process of setting up a 125gal 6' x 2'D x 18"W tank for a
few elderly medium size discus and an assorment of  other fish (they are
currrently co-exixting in a 55 gal tank).

I want to focus on plants, and to 'get the lighting right'.

A.  I am prepared to pay for a VHO or PowerCompact setup although I'm
suffering from sticker shock, but the more I try to compare the two the
more confused I become.  If anyone can advise me on the following (and
anything else I should know), I'll be very grateful.  Some of what I've
been told is:

1.  VHO (Ice Cap) ballasts use only   50% of their rated electricity
comumption, vs. PC.  So a 420 watt VHO system will consume around 210
watts of electricity.  (PC vendors however say that PC's cost less to
run than VHO's of the same wattage).

2.  However, a PC system gives out twice the light (lumens) of a VHO.
(Having just  read the 'comments on lumens' in the latest Digest this
appears to be completely irrelevant though).

3.  VHO ballasts are very unreliable compared with PC units and will not
last as long.

4.  VHO tubes last 6 months on average (although Champion Lighting says
they last 12 months) versus at least 14 months for PC's.

5.  I need 3 watts per gallon for a plant tank = 375 watts at least.

Any confirmation or otherwise of the above will be a great help.

B.  I also understand that most plants will not thrive at Discus
temperatures of 82 degrees plus.  Can anyone advise what plants will be
successful - I know some Amazon Swords will but I'm not sure about other
plants.

Thanks

Peter