Aluminum

I ordered a copy of analysis of my tap water chemistry last week, but I
managed to lose the paper before I showed it to anyone who actually
understands what all the numbers mean.  *Sigh*.  I'll order another copy
next week.

However, to my untrained eye, it seemed as though there was a very high
level of aluminum (i.e., it was the biggest number in that column).

A chemistry-literate friend speculated that this could be the reason my
water is so darned well buffered (7.5 from the tap, and boiling peat
doesn't even get us very low, so we've started adding distilled water to
our apisto breeding tanks).

Does this make sense, and what particular problems or benefits might
result from a high level of aluminum?

Alysoun McLaughlin
in Wheaton, Maryland