Re: hard alkiline water plants

In a message dated 98-08-07 15:53:32 EDT, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
writes:

<< >Can anyone recommend specific plants that do well in hard (100 to 250 ppm
 >depending on how well my water softener is functioning - much harder if I
 >run out of salt) water with an average pH of 8.0?  Thanks. >>

My hardness is around 300ppm and 8.0 to 8.4 pH.  With adding CO2
to some of my tanks pH dropps to 7.6 to 8.0.  I hace had great luck
with most of the Amazon sword plant species, as well as with crypts.

Secret I found though is the Amazons need more intese light for 10 to 14
hours a day, while the crypts like less light but for 16 hours a day.  I
also use both root and "leave" fertalizers.  For the roots I use the Tetra
product crypt-----(something) the little sticks that go in the soil.  And I
also used to use Terta Pride but have now switched to a Kent product
as a water additive.

Dennis