Native Plants, dividers and school tanks

Kudzu wrote:

>Well I really should have said Aquarium plants and available
>commercially. I am not worried about a complete list, just thought it
>would be nice if there were some easy to grow native plants available.
>Since I am doing native fish it would be nice to have the same is
>plants.

Yhere are several genera commercially available that contain plants native
to the U.S., but whether the exact species are native is harder to
determine.  There are native Vals, Sag, Ludwigia, Cabomba, Myriophyllum,
Egeria, Fontinalis, Riccia and Ceratophyllum.  Didiplis diandra is
definitely a native as is Bacopa caroliniana,  There are even some native
Echinodorus.  There are many others, but those are the ones I thought of
off the top of my head.  Of course, they may or may not be native to where
ever your native fish come from.

>Once I get
>the box built and cut outs for the glass I will be adding a coat of
>Epoxy resin and a very thin sheet of fiberglass cloth inside. What I
>was thinking was that it would be really simple to add some dividers
>and glass them in at construction. The wood would be encased in epoxy
>and not exposed.

Oh, that would work fine.

>BTW I passed on the School URL about your
>Program to the NFC mailing list. They are talking about doing
>something very similar to educate kids on the native fish and
>conservation efforts.

That's great!  Let them know that the school people only have the bare
bones up at the web site so far.  They have a lot more material including
planting diagrams, photos, clip art curriculum ideas, etc. which will
eventually be included.  In the mean time, Aquarium USA contains an article
on the program which _does_ include complete instructions, planting
diagrams and photos of a number of our tanks if they'd like to pick that up.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association