American Marine Pinpoint pH controller blues

I finally got my pH controller yesterday and it came with 7.0 and 4.0
solutions that are used to calibrate the unit.  The directions say to first
calibrate with 7.0 then adjust slope with 4.0.  The directions say to repeat
these steps until you get 7.0 and 4.0 without having to adjust the
calibration and slope, but I couldn't get that to happen.  When I adjusted
the slope to 4.0 and re-tested for 7.0, the pH always went back up to 7.12 -
7.13.  I'd adjust the pH back and re-test for 4.0 and it would be
3.8something.  Now I've used up my 7.0 and 4.0 calibration fluids (I saved
them anyway) and Amer. Marine only bothered to put one of each in with the
controller.

So - now I'm mad.  This delays my CO2 project a little, although I'm not
quite ready as I lack other equipment still.

Anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate the help.

"Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin".
  -- Daffy Duck (Duck Amuck)

Kelly Beard, Cat IV, Team Allanti
Race in Tennessee - <http://www.tbra.org/98-road.shtml>
ICQ UID #1942410