Sick Farowella

Bjorn Straube <> wrote:
<<<<Subject: Sick Farowella
  I've have a farowella that appears to have Ich ;(  I have
heard(read) that they do not deal well with malachite green,
and that many armored catfish don't do well with salt
treatments.  It's in a planted community tank, classic added
a new fish syndrome (I know bad Bjorn <g>)  everything else
got a few spots, but got over it in short order.  The poor
thing has gotten salted pretty good and is getting "itchy".
I will remove the fish to a hospital tank to treat.  Having
said all of that, has any one had any experience with
treating these fish?  If so, what meds, and dosages?

Bjorn, Ich is one of those nasties that in my opinion
should be eradicated completely, since even if
some fishes develop immunity to it, over time
some mortality will occur at the first introduction
of new fishes, or of stress of the existing ones.
The nice thing is that a simple temperature
treatment works very well: you can follow
Untergasser's suggestion of 30 deg.
C (88 deg. F) for 10 days.
Plants will be OK. Just use a good
thermometer (such as a photographic lab. one)
to make sure the tank is warm at all levels and
corners. I would not limit the treatment to the
Farlowella only, since you need to eliminate any
carrier. Some fishes may not tolerate high temp,
and in some cases a weakened one may not take
the extra metabolic burden of high temp., but
it remains to be seen if a drug or no treatment
are viable alternatives. Not in my opinion, but some
people prefer to let things go "naturally".

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno at roche_com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.