Epsom Salts

>Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 03:32:46 -0500
>From: mason.163 at osu_edu (Matthew T. Mason)
>Subject: Salts
>
>I want to increase water hardness with something other than calcium
>carbonate or sodium bicarbonate.  I have heard that Epsom Salts (SP?) is a
>good addition.
>
>1.  Is this a good thing to use for increasing water?

Personally, if I want to increase my water, I just pour some in. ;-)

>2.  Does anyone know the differing components of the product?

Epsom salts = MgSO4.7H2O

>3.  Does anyone know the relative concentrations of these compounds/ions?

Given the formula above you should be able to figure that out.

>Doctoral Student                                 over a cat, the flatter
>Department of Molecular Genetics      it gets."
>The Ohio State University                   -Author Unknown

Hmm.  One thinks that you might have been able to answer this question for
yourself with the resources of OSU at your disposal.  Surely OSU has at
least one freshman chemistry book lying around in library someplace...

--Bill