Re: New tank recommendations request

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 23:40:40 -0800
From: Spike Cover <scover at pacbell_net>

> My questions are:
> 1.  What manufactures would you recommend for custom glass tanks?  (I
> live in So. Cal.) And why?

Have you looked into acrylic tanks?  They are more expensive than
glass but:

1) price may be close if you are custom ordering a tank,
2) acrylic is a LOT lighter,
3) a 60" x 18" wide acrylic tank has bent corners rather than butt
joints -- very much more attractive,
4) a standard 100 gallon tank is 60"x18"x22" high,
5) California has a few acrylic tank manufacturers,
6) acrylic has less visual distortion than glass

> 2.  What are your thoughts on reinforcing (glass) pieces glued in the
> top of the tank vs thicker glass and a totally open top? Other options?

Acrylic has a top plate for reinforcement

> 3.  What are your thoughts regarding my specifying a "corner-box" type
> water pick-up/intake for the filers; one which  contains floss for a
> pre-filter and can be completely flooded so that it doesn't strip the
> CO2 from the water?  Other options?

OK if you can get to it easily for cleaning and maintenance

> 4.  What recommendations do you have for water returns the tank?  Top,
> middle, bottom, combination?  Strong water movement, moderate, or
> gentle?  Holes in tank back and/or bottom or not (as opposed to up and
> over the back)?

A few just below the top.  Even water circulation is beneficial to
plants.  A few smaller outlets will create weaker currents (discus
don't like strong water movement).  One or two outlets requires more
flow at the outlet to cover the whole tank.  More outlets can have
slower flow and still move water around all the plants.

> 5.  How many tank-volume-turn-overs per hour is good for discus/plant
> tank?

5 or 6.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at fii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm