[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: MH light questions
I have MH light experience and initially looked at hydroponic
fixtures. A few observations:
1. Hydroponic fixtures were cheaper than "aquarium" fixtures. Duh!
1. Most of the hydroponic fixtures we looked at exhibited a loud 60 Hz
hum from the ballast when running. I don't know if this was brand
specific or due to cheaper ballasts, but I wouldn't want one in my
2. The reflectors were smaller. I suspect they are designed to
produce a particular (square?) light pattern when mounted 5-8' above
the plants, like in a green house. Aquarium fixtures should be (are?)
designed to be used a foot or so above the water surface.
3. Neither reflector exhibited any kind of sophisticated design
(parabolic or whatever). They look more like a design based on "the
easiest thing for the sheet metal shop to knock out in a hurry".
4. Aquarium designs are a bit more attractive than hydroponic designs.
George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at fii_com)
Need Info? http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
* Last update: 10/21/97