What the heck are these bubbles????

I have noticed that right after I do a fifty percent water change, all of my
plants start producing a lot of bubbles (very small ones in streams).  I
know they are probably oxygen bubbles, but why such an out pouring of them?

I keep the new water about the same temperature as the old,  but the tap
water has a pH of about 8 and the aquarium water is about 6.5.  Could this
difference be enough to cause a chemical reaction? The plants don't seem to
be suffering after they give off the bubbles, so I am not all the worried -
just curious.  The bubbling last for a couple of hours. Any ideas of what is
going on?????

Ken Guin
Kenguin at erols_com