re: Filterless Plant Tanks

>guess.  We all hear that we MUST keep the temps in our tanks stable as fish
>cannot handle rapid changes of temperature, especially temperature drops.  Odd
>isn't it that fish in real life go through thermoclines in natural bodies of
>water in which they go through several degrees change, in just a few seconds.

It seems that a comparison with "real life" has a few problems. First of
all, as hobbyists, we keep very few fish compared to the number in nature.
We want all of them to survive, whereas in nature the ones that don't
survive temperature changes aren't around any more. (In other words, fish
die in the wild too.)

Second, it is possible that in real life, fish can find areas in their
habitat that have the temp they need. This is difficult to do in a tank
that's heated evenly. Third, the common type of fish we keep as hobbyists
may not be as hardy as their wild ancestors.

I agree that the advice about stable temp doesn't have to be a hard and
fast rule, but I would still be more cautious than not.

Greg. Tong
gtong at sirius_com

"Often, the things that change are less interesting than those that stay
the same."--Aaron Fleisher