Re: applying Monokote

>	I would also like to get some tips on applying Monokote. When
>applying it to a flat surface, should the piece of Monokote be slightly
>larger than the surface to which it's being attached?  I assume I need to
>allow for shrinkage, but how much?  What setting should i set my iron on?
>A lower one, I would think...

I can't remember exactly what setting you should use with your iron. I
have an iron made for applying the stuff, but you probably should start
with a fairly low setting ("wool" maybe?). Also, make sure you don't
stick the iron to the wrong side of the monokote or you'll get it all
gooey :-).

For the model airplanes I've built, I like to use a heat gun for applying
to large flat surfaces. If you have acces to one, or don't mind buying
one, this approach seems to work quite well. They get quite hot, so a
hair dryer won't work.

Using the heat gun and a cotton cloth, heat the monokote with the gun and
use the cloth to smooth it into place. On large surfaces, it's sometimes
hard to get good adhesion with an iron because of irregularities in the
surface to which you're applying, and the heat gun/cloth technique is
also faster.

Yes, you should start with a piece slightly larger than the surface.
After your done, you can either trim the edges with a razor blade or wrap
the monokote around the edges (an iron does work very well for applying
to edges and the like, e.g. ribs on airplane wings).

Also, if applying to a very large surface, start at the middle and work
outward or at one edge and work across to avoid trapped bubbles. If you
do get bubbles, you can prick them with a pin and go over the area with
the heat gun/cloth again.

Hope this is of some help.

Philip in Austin where it's sunny and 70 degrees.
pto at mail_utexas.edu