No Laterite in US (was Soil Substrate) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 18:02:00 -0500
From: "Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM" <williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil>
To: "Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com" <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com>
Subject: No Laterite in US (was Soil Substrate)

I must disagree with Dr. Niall McCarten's statement that "Laterites are
very uncommon in North America" and "Iron laterites are also uncommon and
do not occur in pure forms in the US to my knowledge".  Dr. McCarten does
not know the history of Birmingham Alabama.  The local soils (red clay
type) are rich in iron, foundaries were built and Birmingham was a major
industrial center for iron.  There was even a large statue of the Roman
(Greek?) god of the forge, Vulcan, to commemorate iron's importance to the
city.   I am not saying that all red clay US soils have iron nor do I
insist on using the label "laterite".  However, there are soils that have
high iron content in the US.  You just have to know where to look and what
questions to ask.  I wish I were close enough to Birmingham to get some of
this soil because the red clay I use only has a little iron in it.  But the
pine trees certainly love it.
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil
In Springtime Atlanta, it was 80F yesterday.  Bring on the air
conditioners!