From: Bob Baron <zxcvbob at charter_net>
To: aquatic-plants <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sat, Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm
Subject: Re: [APD] Neglected tank

I stocked the tank (20H) last week with 5 Rosy Barbs, 2 males and 3
emales, and they seem happy.  Their colors have brightened up
onsiderably from at the LFS, and whatever kind of nasty algae I have,
hey've been tearing it off the leaves much faster than it's growing
ack; they eat about half of it and the other half ends up in the
ilter.  All the plants are growing new leaves.  I did a 10% water
hange today mostly to get rid of debris on the bottom.  Looks like I
ight be back in business.  :-) I'll add a few grains of potassium
hloride to the filter canister today, and see if I can find some
otassium nitrate.
The algae starts out looking like BBA, then builds up thicker and
hicker into a gray-brown slime and the filaments go away.  There's also
ittle patches of brilliant green algae on the sand substrate; that's
robably cyanobacteria.  I wonder if the algae on the plants is a
mixture* of BBA and cyanobacteria, and maybe I need to zap the cyano
ith a antibiotic like erythromycin?  I do not want to do anything
rastic since it's all improving on its own.
Merry Christmas,
Bob