[APD] Substrates

Dear All,

  My lfs has Flourite and two other planted tank substrates available.  One is by Carib Sea.  The other is froma  company whose name I can't remember but is small clay balls.  I have a torn-down 55 gallon with silica sand as the substrate.  My ideal situation is to get enough an iron-rich substrate mixed into the sand so that plant growth would improve.  The question I have is: has anyone used these substrates?  How much is needed for the project I am thinking about?

  Thanks in advance,

  Holly