[APD] Planted tank urban myths - aerial roots

I think that Nick Ternes has identified another cause, i.e.,  cultural conditions.  I have had this problem (?) occur in aquatic, emergent, and terrestrial plants, and without proof, found that increasing the Oxygen content of the substrate has alleviated the problem.  Very few plants grow in anoxic conditions, and those plants have a tendency to produce growth that will allow them to live in better environments.  I don't subscribe to the idea that it is a conscious activity on their part, just a survival strategy.  Even the rice that I grow does better in a coarser mud mix than in clay.

Gary in Hilo, HI