Re: [APD] EI Questions

Hi Christine,
ppm refers to parts per million of mass, or miligrams per kilogram,
which, for water is mg per liter.

The way I understand it, if you have anything in a tank that can
generate ammonia, such as fish, fish poop, rotting organic matter,
etc. you need lots of plants to virtually instantly use up the
ammonia.  Otherwise it acts as a signal to the algae spores to start
their life cycle.  So, a fully planted tank will do that much better
than a sparsely planted tank.  If you had a large reservoir, as you
suggested, with the tank water circulating through it, that should
stabilize the fertilizers, but only if the reservoir was always kept
completely blacked out.  Algae also need light to start growing and a
reservoir with lots of ferts and light too would soon grow algae,
defeating the purpose.

Vaughn H.