[APD] Pogostemon helferi - Downoi

I do not know if this plant has been discussed much here before or not, but
it has been discussed on other forums where it has been traded and sold on
Aquabid for $20 per stem.

Here are some pics posted on Killies.com

http://www.killies.com/images/Downoi10.JPG

http://www.killies.com/images/Downoi12.JPG

This plant originally came from Thailand.  Tropica Plants has developed it
from culture, and there are commercial growers in Singapore offering it to
hobbyists throughout Asia where it is quite popular.  According to these
hobbyists the plant can grow under low to very bright light and a nutrient
rich bottom seems to be the key.  It is a stem plant, but each stem has a
'head" of several leaves. The plant is sold per head. It can be propogated
by side shoots. It is reported that the plant is sensitive to sudden changes
in conditions, but is otherwise undemanding. Average height submersed is 2
to 3 inches, (which is why it is thought of as a foreground plant) but some
hobbyists have been able to grow it up to 12" tall.

Last month I purchased one stem from someone online. It was sent to me by
priority mail and took three days to arrive. It then sat in my mail box for
three more days! And when I opened it up, the plant was in perfect shape!
This test prompted me to order a fairly large number from Singapore. It has
never been imported into the USA on a continual basis before.

You can read the discussion on Killis.com here:

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

and here http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/eve

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com