Re: [APD] spray bar

I would like Raj to mention in detail about the :-

1. Size of the spary bar(length, no of holes, etc),
2  Position of the spray bar with respect to the upper level of water
3.Pump used,
4. Timing of use, etc.

So that anyone who wants to try will have guidance

By the way, I have a 20 gallon non-co2 tank with 14 no. 2-3inch fishes ,
heavily planted and I have never seen any fish gasping anytime.
Only thing I noticed was immediately after the day of heavy prunning,
the fish activity increased. So probably fish load is most importanrt.

regards,

ajit
India.

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:32:36 +0530
> From: Raj <ggrk at blr_vsnl.net.in>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Aeration & a planted tank
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>

>          Thanks, positively the fish population has everything to do with
> this. I have had more problems with fish gasping & some deaths in my
> *non-CO2* 50 gal tank... till I added a spray bar. Now that added a
benefit
> of better plant growth and that's what got me thinking.. we have three
> options 1. CO2 injection, 2. DIY CO2 and 3. (new entrant - High Areation)
> Spray bar / agitation or circulator.
>
>          Aeration or equivalent has a positive effect on both the fish and
> plants on the long run. I am all in favor of this.. no hassle planted
tank.
> No high tech CO2, No messy DIY CO2 & less trimming i.e more control over
> your tank.
>
>          About ammonia, I have always observed that when ammonia is high
> the fish become shy, flick & scratch themselves and hide in some dark
> corners.. on the latter why I don't know. While gasping or funnelling is
> either due to *Low O2* or "High CO2" (To expel excess CO2 from their
> bodies). For a layman aquarist it may not be easy to differentiate or
deduce.

>          Secondly on ammonia, you are right on the reasons below.. I would
> like to add that in non-temperature controlled situations, the decreased
> replication of the bacteria may also be a strong factor. I remember
reading
> somewhere that these bacteria need 24 hours to replicate (double) and that
> by bacteria standards must be slow. So their ability to replace themselves
> will be low and the beneficial bacteria might reduce in a fast non linear
> rate.. resulting in an ammonia spike (more ammonia will mean more active
> plants.. means more O2 consumed at night!!).
>
> Raj
>
> At 26/08/05, you wrote:
> Subject: Re: [APD] Aeration & a planted tank
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Scott asked,
>
> "Can more folks report on non-co2 set-ups where they don't have
> morning-gasping and don't have aeration other than a water (or filter)
> pump?"
>
> I have a 10 gallon tank with about 15 inches of fish, 40 to 50 "fast
> growing" plants, and a sponge filter.
>
> I also have a 20 gallon tank with about 80 growing plants and perhaps 50
> guppies.  It also usually has a heavy cover of duckweed.
>
> I have never seen fish gasping at the surface in either of these tanks.
If