[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [APD] pH shock

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com]On Behalf Of
Rob Dotzler
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 9:48 AM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] pH shock

I strongly disagree with pH shock being harmless.  I have found pH shock
to be the most common reason for premature death after "Water Quality",
ammonia and nitrites.  The only thing is, it takes 1-2 weeks to kill the
fish.  Especially fish that are delicate like neon tetras or anything in
the pleco family.  After 10 years and thousands of customers water
tests, that is my conclusion.   While I'm no scientist, I can
comfortably state I am an expert on basic water tests.  Of course, they
all come in for a test after my second cup of coffee and I need to hold
the test bottles with both hands, like a cop taking aim.....

Personally I have not experienced a problem with a large change in PH in a
short period of time. In my planted community tank which contains,
livebearers, tetras( neon's and cardinals) as well as Rainbow fish , Otto's
, Angel etc I recently ran out of CO2. My PH went from 6.6 to 7.3 by the
time I discovered it. I had the tank refilled and hooked back up and the PH
went back down to about 6.4. I fiddled with the needle valve a bit and it
went up to 6.8 and then finally back to 6.6. All this in about 24-36 hrs. No
problems with the fish at all. I think in planted tanks the PH is regulated
by the amount of CO2 injected and your KH remains stable. A large change in
KH may be more harmful than PH. I also took an Angel fish out of that tank
that was getting picked on by another Angel and put it in a Hospital tank to
treat for some fungus. The Hospital tank PH is tap water and 7.6 so a huge
change from 6.6 to 7.6 and the fish was and still is fine. Just my
experience. YMMV


Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com