[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [APD] pH shock
pH shock, or something like it, used to kill my
red wags on a regular basis.
Back when I was dumb I used to go to the grocery
and buy RO water at 25 cents a gallon to use for
top-off and water changes in a 120 gallon planted
tank. I thought my plants wanted soft water.
Problem was that after a few months the
plants would use up all the buffer, the pH would
crash and the first I knew about it was always
a dozen or so floating bodies.
I blush to say it took me a couple of cycles to
figure this out.
Now I top-off with tap water, the aquarium water is
hard as a rock, the pH is stable, and everyone, plants
and fish included, are healthy and happy.
Now, was that a pH shock problem or something to do
--- Rob Dotzler <Bucks_Boogie at webtv_net> wrote:
> I strongly disagree with pH shock being harmless. I
> have found pH shock
> to be the most common reason for premature death
> after "Water Quality",
> ammonia and nitrites. The only thing is, it takes
> 1-2 weeks to kill the
> fish. Especially fish that are delicate like neon
> tetras or anything in
> the pleco family. After 10 years and thousands of
> customers water
> tests, that is my conclusion. While I'm no
> scientist, I can
> comfortably state I am an expert on basic water
> tests. Of course, they
> all come in for a test after my second cup of coffee
> and I need to hold
> the test bottles with both hands, like a cop taking
> "Damaged and I like it, it made me what I am!"
> Aquatic-Plants mailing list
> Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business $15K Web Design Giveaway
Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com