[APD] Re: Painting an Aquarium Heater

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:25:06 -0700
From: Walker Benjamin D C1C USAFA/CS20 <C04Benjamin_Walker at USAFA.edu>
Subject: [APD] Painting an Aquarium Heater
To: "'aquatic-plants at actwin_com'" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I would do it the way Ebo-Jaeger does all their heaters. Paint the *inside* of the glass! They use dark green, which hides pretty well. You could use black to match your background.

No paint will last well or resist scratching when immersed on a constantly expanding and contracting glass surface. Essentially any heater can be disassembled, but some may require more "clever" than others.

I'd be inclined to use a paint designed for higher temperatures, like engine-block paint from the automotive or chain-saw store. Pour paint inside the tube and rock it around to get an even coat. After the paint is dry, scratch away the area near the on-off light, so you can still monitor that the heater is working properly, and you can set the temperature.

Wright

Hi, this is my first time writing to this list, but my girlfriend and I have
a small planted aquarium with a black filter pick-up tube and a clear glass
aquarium heater against a black background. We just don't like the look of
the glass heater in the background--it stands out too much--and we really
don't feel like rigging some sort of artificial "stump" in the corner to
hide the heater. So we're thinking of painting it if it doesn't cause too
many problems.

Has anyone ever tried taking the heater out, painting it and putting it back
in once it has been painted?  Of course we'd clean it well and make sure it
would be thoroughly dry.  I'm just wondering if it would do anything
dangerous to the fish, or if it would flake off the heater and cause
problems.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ben

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

"If people are basically evil, the last thing you'd want is a big
government staffed by those evil folks exercising control over you."
  -- David Bergland