Re: [APD] Re:Re: substrate

Naw. Still haven't convinced me. You don't need megadosing
in a tank without CO2, you might not even need anything
more than fish food and traces.  Water changes can let youu
avoid testing and once things are stable you don't need to
do those either.

Trying to get your ferts inth the substrate is an easy way
to go if you aren't going to be disturbing the substrate,
which I think is unlikely for a newbie.

Scott H.

--- Robert H <robertph3 at comcast_net> wrote:
> >>Hmmm. didn't say dose liquids, said dose the water
> column.
> Buried ferts can be very troublesome for newbies. Move a
> plant, get green water, that kind of stuff.
> Tom's way made more sense for newbies, imo.<<
>
> Depends on how you look at it. Toms way is more mega
> dosing the water column
> and using frequent large water changes to get rid of the
> excess. Thats
> pretty time consuming, and if you are lax on the water
> changes, it can
> really back fire on you. How many newbies do you know
> that are religious
> about water changes? By having a richer substrate with
> more moderate water
> column fertilization and more moderate water changes, I
> found the margin for
> error is less critical. It also depends on what you are
> putting in the
> substrate. There are many definitions of a rich
> substrate, but as long as
> the primary emphasis is on trace rather than macro I do
> not think there is
> much danger of an algae bloom just from pulling up a
> plant. I look at
> Walstads approach and Barrs approach as extremes on the
> opposite ends. I try
> to come more to the middle by providing a semi nutrient
> rich substrate with
> low organics and moderate dosages of macros to the water
> column with small
> water changes. To me, this allows the tank to mature and
> stabilize.

=====
S. Hieber