[APD] Re: algae eating fish

From: "Jon Cooper" <cooperj at westman_wave.ca>
Subject: [APD] algae eating fish

I was able to find some stray threads in the archives dealing with this fish or that fish, but no comparison between them....so.....
<snip>
I see references on the list to people using SAE's, Black Mollies, Swordtails and Flag fish for algae control. Which are the best in people experience, or do they just have appetites for different flavors of algae?

I've been reading in the archives about algae-eating fish and have seen quite a bit of interesting information about Ameca splendens ("butterfly goodeid"). Apparently some folks have had success with this fish eating many types of algae on a regular basis. I have quite a bit of staghorn algae in my 20H, and just found a guy here in SW Michigan who has A. splendens so I'm going to give them a try. From what I've read they are one of the more interesting livebearers, with attitudes!, and giving birth to 1/2" long fry. I used to keep cichlids so I'm always up for fish with personalities.

Laura