Re: UPS as backup power

Talk about a delayed reply! I finally got around to testing this over the
weekend. I bought a cheap APC es-350 from compUSA ($40) seeing that sinewave
was a concern. It's true the sinewave is quite ugly however it had no
problem running the three filters I have at home (Eheim canister, duetto and
whisper), I couldn't notice any power loss or noise from the motor. I think
your problems were due to the fact that you were trying to run your entire
setup, my main concern and the reason why I wanted to test this was the
concern of losing my bacteria colonies during longer power outages. My first
test was on a 55 gal tank with a 200W heater set to 80F (ambient temperature
74F) and an Eheim 2217 canister. I wasn't expecting much considering the
unit is rated for a few minutes backup on a 350W load, it ran both the
filter and heater for just under 30 minutes.

My second test was more successful, the unit ran the filter alone for 12
hours before I gave up waiting for the thing to die and stopped the test
myself and whent to bed. In all I think it's safe to say that even these
cheap units can do a good job at keeping several filters running during
blackouts. My tanks are all in the house and we rarely have a temperature
problem during blackouts so this works for me. I'm not sure how to calculate
temperature loss of a tank, perhaps that would allow me to see just how long
my tanks can go without heating during the different seasons but at least I
know my bacteria buddies should be OK.

Giancarlo Podio