Re: UPS as backup power

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:49:21PM -0500, Giancarlo
<gp at isaconsulting_com> wrote:

[snip]
> My second test was more successful, the unit ran the filter alone for 12
> hours before I gave up waiting for the thing to die and stopped the test
> myself and whent to bed. In all I think it's safe to say that even these
> cheap units can do a good job at keeping several filters running during
> blackouts. My tanks are all in the house and we rarely have a temperature
> problem during blackouts so this works for me. I'm not sure how to calculate
> temperature loss of a tank, perhaps that would allow me to see just how long
> my tanks can go without heating during the different seasons but at least I
> know my bacteria buddies should be OK.

The centrifugal pumps in the filters are rated at ~10-20W, so this
isn't surprise to me at least. Glad you gave it a try, I was also
concerned about cheap UPS's output waveform. Because blackout is,
umm, blackout.. you can always quickly thermally isolate the tank
from environment and it'll take a while then before temperature gets
down to hazardous values. Water thermal capacity is quite good.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts at estpak_ee