Re: biomedia in planted tanks

> Would this work?
>
> I've seen in a pool shop, that the cleaning aparatus of a swimming pool is
just a big cannister filled with sand, 2-3 mm grain size and a pump to run
it.
> About 100 kg sand is put into a metal cannister and then you hook up a
pump to it. The beauty of it (hence my intrest) is the cleaning proceedure.
simply swich a valve and backflush until clean water is shown in the little
window. Switch back and continue to run as usual.

> Would such a setup work for a planted aquaria?
> I could hide the thingy (it's big) in the basement, so apperance isn't an
issue, but would it work?

> Give your thoughts on the subject!
> Greger

My understanding is that pool sand filters do a good job of mechanical
filtration but do not work well with biological waste. This waste tends to
cause the sand to "clump" and not filter well. Also the flow rates required
would tend to turn an aquarium into a spa.

Kevin