Re: biomedia in planted tanks

> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:40:54 -0400
> From: "Kevin Madsen" <Kevin_Madsen at hotmail_com>

> My understanding is that pool sand filters do a good job of mechanical
> filtration but do not work well with biological waste. This waste tends to
> cause the sand to "clump" and not filter well. Also the flow rates required
> would tend to turn an aquarium into a spa.
>
> Kevin

The waste itself isn't what causes the sand to clump, it's the bacteria
colonizing on the sand that causes the problem.

Pools don't have this problem because chlorine keeps the bacteria at bay.

Aquaticeco.com sells media to replace the sand to allow use of these filters on
ponds.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA