local fish store

My favorite in the Bay Area is Albany Aquarium:

818 San Pablo Ave.
Albany, CA 94530
(510) 525 - 1166

They have excellent plants under great lights and they quarantine all
their fish before selling them, which means survival in your tank is
much higher.  They also tend to carry the more unusual small fish that I
really like for my own aquaria.  Lots of equipment in stock too,
including power compact fixtures, Eheim cannister filters, the entire
Seachem line, etc.  Great place.  No connection, I'm just a fan.
Roxanne Bittman