SV: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1562

> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:07:16 -0500
> From: "Dave Johnson" <dsj000 at charterpa_net>
> Subject: Re:  Carbo Plus. Don't waste your money
>
> I can second this opinion of the Carbo Plus.  I also have been running one
> in a 75g plant tank, although with a higher kH (6 to 7).  The results have
> been poor, and the unit has been unable to keep the pH anywhere
> close to 7.
>
> They recommend a "break-in" for the electrodes in a separate small tank,
> before using the unit in the main tank.  This must be so that the
> purchaser
> can convince his/herself that it works, as it has no trouble taking a 2
> gallon tank down to a pH of 5 to 6 with low kH clean water.  But, in
> retrospect, I could probably do that by exhaling through a tube into a 2
> gallon tank for 1 or 2 days!
>
> I replaced it with a real gas CO2 system about one month ago, with the
> (dwee...) expected positive results.
>
> Amazing how we all fall for the "German engineered" line.  I even
> work with
> German suppliers professionally (for hydraulics, other high pressure
> systems, specialty insulation systems, and other technical stuff) and know
> that "German quality" is mostly a myth (vis-a-vis American).  But
> even then
> I fell for the Carbo Plus story, and just assumed that they would not sell
> something so deficient in performance.
>
> Some here (on the list) have written about the suspect chemistry of the
> Carbo Plus, and I feel embarrassed at not having thought the chemistry
> through more completely before buying, after reading these notes.

Just after Carbo plud did get on the market, there has been a large debate
on different aquarium newsgroups about the efficiency.
Most peoples oppinions was the same as yours,

Usefull for small tanks
Useless for medium to big tanks :(

I will certanly stick to preasure CO2.

Good look with your tank.

p.s. There is nothing wrong with German Engineering, but some companies try
to earn money on not so good products :(
Like every other country.

With many Thanks

Soren ' Disky ' Reinke  ICQ #1413069
Remove IHSYD from email address when replying by email

Please visit my Freshwater Aquaria Webpage
http://www.disky-design.dk/fish

Now available:
      The internets first PLANT SEARCH ENGINE
      http://www.disky-design.dk/fish/PlantSearch/PlantSearch.html