Re: Vortex XL

I want to thank everyone who responded to me regarding the Vortex XL
question I posed.  I did install the real cut-off valve in the output when I
tried Vortex's "method one" of priming.  Seeing this did little to solve my
problem, I started using their "alternate method" (the pitcher), which did
help, and certainly was easier, but did not stop the initial discharge of DE
into my aquariums.  I do use the XL on different aquariums, so I will be
installing another cut-off valve on the input side to prevent water from
pouring out when moving from tank to tank and to aid in preventing the
Vortex from losing prime.  I went to the hardware store and purchased
the materials to reverse flush the Vortex (hose and garden hose adapter).
All of these things should be supplied STANDARD, IMO, with the Vortex,
as well as quick disconnects for the input and output hoses at the
junction of hoses and main unit.  The A.O. Smith motor is relatively loud,
but certainly tolerable *if* you are using it to polish and not used
continously.  I have already used swimming pool supplier DE in my
various tanks with Angels, Pl*cos, Bettas, etc., and none of them are
any the worse off for it.  In retrospect, the suggestion to pour the DE
more slowly into the pitcher may be very beneficial in obtaining a more
uniform coating of the filter.  Thank you for this suggestion, and all of the
comments and suggestions on the Vortex.

---Dan