Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1568

> When someone takes offense where none was intended, it is the
> offended person who becomes offensive.  <<

Well this whole name discussion is getting old, and some jokes that are
meant to be funny, just aren't.  Should be enough said...

>        This list has "active" aquarists, testing all elements
> daily, adding
> this and that by the hour, and doing big water changes every
> couple days.  On
> the other hand, I'm sure many, if not most, follow a more
> "passive" approach,
> as promoted in Diana Walstad's <A
> HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967377307/102-25
> 53175-0819320">Ecology of the Planted Aquarium : A Practical
> Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist</A> .
> Plant it, let it be,
> enjoy what grows, and don't sweat it.<<

I think many people on this list approach things in many different ways, and
to varying degrees. This is a hobby with a very individualistic approach,
and with many different interest levels.  I don't think Diana's approach is
as simple as you suggest either. Her book is full of scientific methodology
and practice, and her loosely suggested "system" has a limited scope of
plants that are used and only under a specific enviornment.

Many people on this list have an interest in pursuing new fined tuned
scientific methods of optimum plant growth, nutrition, and fighting algae,
that may or may not require much tweeking, but certainly not everyone on
this list has that same interest. Personaly, my approach is more on keeping
it simple, do whatever it takes to keep the plants as healthy as possible
with as little work as possible, and focus on creating an artful, visually
appealing display. I dont wish to have potted plants in a bare bottom tank
just so I can sit and watch them grow! As far as cost, I got into the
business so I wouldnt have to pay for my own hobby. Its worked out nicely!
:)

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com
AB newsletter 1081 subscribers