[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: bga - blackout

I tried the blackout method a year ago, when the crude first showed up.
Blacked out for 3 days the first time, then again for 5 days. Didn't work,
the crude just laughed at me and spread like fire across my tank. 
I even tried to eliminate phosphates (via the Sears - Colin paper), with
phosguard but that also didn't help. 
My limited knowledge (which I still suffer from) hurt me more then anything.
Found out I was doing everything wrong.
Not enough plants, no co2, too much iron (hair algae destroyed my Madagascar
lace plant) wrong lighting, using carbon that leached phosphates (the
package said it didn't) 
 Then I found this site. Boy you should see the change. 
Added tons of plants, pmdd (don't use CaNO3 by the way, see still learning
:) changed my lights, added a C02 system, removed all but a single fluval
303 canister filled with floss, constant hand removal of the crude and over
a period of a couple of months voila no more BGA crude. 
I probably went over board but it is such a short leap from hobby to
compulsion. : )     

Just trying to state that, what works for you doesn't always work for
someone else. I also wish to express don't  give up, read, experiment and
learn. I had some fun doing this and teaching my daughter and nephew the
meaning of determination has to mean something.