Re: Re: Mailing fish

>>Has anyone considered Fed-Ex for shipping?  I usually use them when I
order orchids.  Never lost one, even in the middle of summer (in Atlanta).
And the boxes are never punctured/ripped open like some of the stuff I've
received via USPS. UPS here has been great but they frequently demolished
packages when I lived in Alabama...<<

Having been involved in shipping product of one sort or another for close to
20 years, I can tell you there is not a heck of a lot of difference between
shipping UPS or FED X, or any other carrier. People have had horror stories
from every company. The main difference is cost, what discounts each will
bid for to get the business of large companies that ship tons of product to
their customers. As an individual, if I took a box directly to Fed X to
ship, it would cost me about 20% more than if I had my employer ship it
using their Fed X discount. The post office by far has the best rates for
individuals or businesses, but do not offer business services such as pick
ups.

Fed X can be a little flaky when it comes to shipping fish...they cant seem
to make up their mind as to what their policy is. Some of their offices
strangley enough will refuse to ship fish stating that they dont have legal
government permits, or they will quarintine them, or simply delay shipments
until they figure out what to do with it. Some of their offices will do it
without any problem... Fish "boxes", as you can see if you go to your local
fish auction, consist of a cardboard box inner lined with styrofoam. When I
was shipping SAEs, the cost was within 28 to 40$ per box, regardless of the
number of fish, anywhere in the continental USA. (fedxp1 overnight service)
UPS would be within the same price range.

Fish that are imported are sent overnight delivery usually to an airport
where you must pick them up, unless you pay even more for door to door
delivery. You better be ordering a LOT of fish, cause its quite expensive!

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
RK Aquaria Plant Forum moderator
http://www.rk2000.com/cgi-bin/plants.cgi
Open Directory Editor, People do it better!
http://dmoz.org/