Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #570

In a message dated 9/26/00 10:24:35 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

> But, I have only three
>  1/2"snails in my 55 gallon tank due to weather loaches.  My water is very
>  soft and slightly acid.  The red ramshorn snails' shells are blemished
with
>  rough white patches.  Can this be a mineral deficiency?  Scars from fish
>  bites? I want to increase the snail population and was thinking of
> Philippine
>  Trumpet snails.  How large do they?  Where can I get some?

It's not a coating, it's corrosion from the acidity attacking the carbonates
in the snails' shells.  They are Malaysian trumet snails, and this forum's
jury is still out.  About half of us (myself included ) rue the day we
introduced them.  They get about 1/2 inch long, and most stores are also
infested with at least one tank of them.